Inclement Weather Procedures
Chickasha Public Schools is committed to the safety and wellbeing of its students and staff. In the event of inclement weather, there are snow days built into the instructional calendar. The Instructional Calendar may be found here. In certain circumstances or emergencies, virtual learning may still be used.
The following information explains how closure decisions are made and how families/staff can get the most current information possible.
How are decisions made to cancel school?
When deciding whether to close schools, a number of variables are taken into consideration, including the amount of snow fall, condition of residential and thoroughfare roads, prevailing temperatures, and the feasibility to clear parking lots and sidewalks. District administrators closely monitor local forecasts at the first announcement of severe weather, while also personally traveling the roads in various areas of the district. If school is closed, all after-school activities, including sports and evening events, will also be canceled.
What options will the district consider when weather conditions are severe?
Severe Weather (Thunderstorms/Tornadic Storms)
- If strong storms are indicated on radar, the following actions may be taken:
- Release students normally
- Hold students in the school sites and delay bus dismissal
- Canceling bus dismissal and holding students for parents to retrieve
- Families and staff will be notified via SchoolMessenger of any changes to normal release procedures.
Winter Weather (Snow/Ice)
- When winter weather is forecasted, the transportation department will begin checking bus routes as early as 4 a.m.
- In most cases, the district makes the final decision to cancel school no later than 5:30 a.m. on the school day under consideration. The decision is made on a day-to-day basis after weather and road conditions have been assessed. If school is closed, all after-school activities, including sports and evening events, will also be canceled.
- The decision to close due to snow/ice will be reported first on local news stations and the district’s social media outlets. A communication via SchoolMessenger will be sent no earlier than 6 a.m.
How are parents notified when school is canceled?
Closure information will be sent to parents/guardians and employees by telephone and texts using our automated messenger system, SchoolMessenger. It will also be posted on the District's website, Facebook and local news channels, including Kool 105.5. Please see the photo at the bottom of the page for information on how to sign up for SchoolMessenger notifications. We also have how to follow us on Social Media.
If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school site.